Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday's Tip of the Day

Plan ahead to avoid holiday weight gain.

Holiday get togethers typically equal cookies, cakes, and pies galore! Not to mention all the high calorie appetizers and unlimited drinks. Due to these factors, the majority of people experience a holiday weight gain of 3-5 pounds.
  
"Oh yum!!! Pie is my weakness!!! Don't even try to tell me "a moment on the lips forever on the hips..." - I am NOT buying it!  Hey now, I am in Pittsburgh; This is easily hidden by jeans, boots, and big sweaters, right? 

 Oh wait...did you just say that it's not going to be Winter forever?!?!?!? Oh crap! Maybe I should learn how to avoid this pitfall.

Planning ahead is essential when it comes to attending holiday functions.

1. DO NOT starve yourself before a party, thinking that you will just eat your calories for the day there  rather than eating at home.  You have no idea of the calorie count or nutritional information for the food at that function. Instead, eat a regular meal at home and when arrive, if you are still hungry, you can fill your plate with 2/3 fresh veggies and then use the other 1/3 of your plate for super small portion of the "must have" appetizers. 

2. Drink plenty of water. It is easy to mistake the feeling of thirst for being hungry. Water will help to fill you up so you won't want to eat that extra slice of cheesecake.

3. Keep a small notebook in your purse or pocket and write down the food as or before you consume it. It's amazing how much mindless eating you can do if you don't watch yourself.  As a side note, I have my husband trained to say "Do you want your notebook?" or "Are you going to write that down?" if he notices me eating more than normal. Sometimes that does upset me initially but in the end, I am grateful to have someone else on my side during a tempting situation.



4. Try meal planning. If you know you have a work function on Friday night, you can easily arrange your meal schedule so that you are consuming slightly smaller meals on the days preceding it. Meal planning also saves you money and eliminates food waste (but that is a blog for another day....stay tuned....)



I hope that these tips will help you to avoid having to wear elastic band pants after the holidays. Good luck and stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment