Saturday, August 31, 2013

My 90 day gluten free trial

I haven't mentioned this much (if at all) on my blog, but my real life friends have been forced to listen to me complain about my really weird symptoms for the past year or so. I have gone down a few different avenues to try to pinpoint exactly *what* is wrong with me with no luck.

There have been quite a few troubling symptoms but the worst is.... Well, I'm not going to go into tons of detail on my blog but let's just say ummmm...stomach issues and move on.

As a back story, I am one of 7 kids. Of those 7 kids, only myself and my sister, Erica, have been gluten eaters lately. The others seem to have "inherited" Celiac or a form of gluten intolerance from my dad. In fact, when we camped together this past Summer, we separated ourselves into 2 cabins : The Glutens and the Gluten Frees. And the gluten free cabin was filled to the brim!

During that week, I learned a lot about the symptoms they all experienced prior to diagnosis and in the back of my head, I was checking things off my list. Ugh, I thought, I do not want to go gluten free. I love gluten!

 

I had gotten a blood test for Celiac Disease a few years ago at my dad's insistence and it was negative. After returning from camping, I went back to the doctor and told her about some of my newer symptoms. Right away, she asked if I had explored the possibility of Celiac. Darn it, she is thinking the same thing as me.... I told her that I had already been tested and she mentioned that a negative test from a few years ago wasn't exactly proof positive that I was safe from it. She wanted to perform an endoscopy with biopsy but just the sound of that freaked me out, so we settled on me doing a 90 day trial of being gluten free to see if my symptoms *magically* went away.

So, here I am. September 1st begins my 90 day journey of cutting all gluten from my diet. The idea of it freaks me out but the more I think about it, it probably won't be as big a deal as I think. I already eat about 90% non-processed and organic food. The biggest issue, I think, will be attending parties where I won't know who made each food item.  

I'll be blogging about it as much as I can. Someone hold me to that, k?






No comments:

Post a Comment