Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tuesday's Tip

Eat more often.

Eat? More? Often? Yup, you read that right! I know it sounds silly and counterproductive as eating less typically equals weighing less. But, instead of the typical 3 square meals a day that you may remember from childhood, the new recommendation is 5-6 meals a day. Think of your body as a vehicle with a small tank. I think of my Ford Aspire from years ago but since you are probably much trendier than I am, you can be a Smartcar:

You need fuel to run your engine and since it's small, the tank needs to be replenished often. So, basically, eating smaller portions more often will keep your tank full of fuel all day long.

Eating every 2-3 hours will re-program your body into a more efficient machine.  It will speed up your metabolism and help you burn fat. When you eat often, your (very smart) body says “Hey, I’m going to be getting more in a couple hours so I’ll burn this as energy.” Going long periods of time without eating makes your body store fat, and your energy levels drop resulting in sugar cravings which in many cases result in an all out food fest.

If you feel like you a stuck right now, give eating more often a try and let me know how it works out for you. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. The thing that is so hard for me about this, is that you HAVE to totally plan ahead for this....

    I do good until I don't plan, then I am hunting for something to eat and.... yep, I mess up!

    Great post though - totally agree with it.

    ReplyDelete