Saturday, July 14, 2012

Decoding the Plans: Part three

Time for part three of my blog about the workout/diet plans that are out there. The past 2 posts have focused a lot on food plans, but this one will highlight three popular workout programs out there. I have done all three so I can provide my personal thoughts on these rather than researching them. Today's three picks are the 10 Minute SolutionJillian's 30 Day Shred, and P90X.


The 10 Minute Solution is a series of DVDs that are designed to be used in conjunction with the Special K Challenge. I can see why people would choose this plan because "heck, it's only 10 minutes" and "Special K is pretty tasty - I suppose I can handle eating it twice a day" What is important to remember is that each DVD contains 5 different ten minute segments, which you can do individually or mix them up for a 50 minute workout. It's not *just* 10 minutes.

As for eating Special K twice a day, I can tell you that I lasted a whole two days on this plan before I was ready to eat my own arm. It's just not enough calories. Since that time, I can see that they have added in a collection of protein shakes and bars but honestly, I wouldn't try it again because a plan that asks you to eat processed food like that just doesn't seem ideal to me.

The cost seems low with just $4.99 per DVD but with 45 DVD's available and a Wii game to boot, it could really add up quickly. I would steer clear of this one if you are looking for some real results.


Any Biggest Loser fans out there?! I am a HUGE fan of this show, though the past few seasons haven't been as good as previous ones due to stupid drama. I do adore watching the transformations of these people - both physically and on every other level as well. It's amazing. Due to my love of the show, I tried the 30 Day Shred DVD that is lead by Jillian Michaels. At this point, she has added quite a few other DVDs to her lineup but this one is still a favorite of mine.

There are three different levels. The idea is that you start with level one and move to the next level after 10 days and then on to the next 10 days later which is supposed to help you "lose 20 pounds in 30 days". Losing that amount of weight was not my experience but if you are a non-exerciser and a lot heavier than your goal weight, I suppose it is possible...maybe...if you *really* reduce your calorie intake too. Suffice it to say that, in my opinion, this workout isn't enough for the quick weight loss that it claims but it is a GREAT option for beginners.

I think that if you would like a nice introduction to workouts, this would be a wonderful way to get started. Then, you can move on to the B.A. workout that is the next one I'll be reviewing...


P90X is just one of the many programs offered by Beachbody. P90X is a collection of 12 workouts. In addition to the workouts, there is also a detailed 3-phase nutrition plan, specially designed to help you lose fat; a fitness guide, and a calendar to set your workout goals, track your progress, and stay motivated. I'm sure by now you probably know someone who is a Beachbody coach as they seem to be popping up all over the place, especially with Facebook being such a great marketing tool. Have you taken a look at their before and after pics? Here are just a few that I found in a cursory internet search:


So, does it work? Heck yes, it does. Some of my weight loss can be attributed to P90X and its program. The DVD's are designed to be done in a specific order which confuses your muscles and keeps them growing while shedding fat. The nutrition plan is realistic in that it takes a lot more into account than some plans that just say "eat 1200 calories a day and work out for an hour". On this plan, you actually get to eat - and good food too!

One of the things that I found challenging about this program was that there are a few workouts where you are supposed to use a chin up bar. I don't own one and I don't have a good place in my house for one. Instead, I had to use resistance bands for those parts and never really felt like I was getting the maximum workout.

P90X IS a lot of work. You will be pressing play on your DVD player six days a week. The shortest workout is about 55 minutes and the longest is 90 minutes.  The cost is high but cheaper than hiring a personal trainer (Ohhhhhhh, maybe I shouldn't say that - hate to drive away clients...) so if you are REALLY committed to weight loss and feeling better in your skin, this one is worth every penny.

I'll give a quick shout out here to my friend and a great inspiration for me, as well as others. Go visit Fit With Jo if you want to give this one a try.




No comments:

Post a Comment